Friday, October 01, 2004

Jeremiah 4 & 6

I've been getting confused, boucing back and forth between Joshua and Jeremiah, so I'm gonna skip back to Jeremiah 4, then to Jeremiah 6, where I should be.
Starting off:

1 "If you will return, O Israel,
return to me,"
declares the LORD.
"If you put your detestable idols out of my sight
and no longer go astray...

As Ian mentioned a few comments down, He doesn't even have to give us the chance of forgiveness. God is so awesome and amazing in His actions.
22 "My people are fools;
they do not know me.
They are senseless children;
they have no understanding.
They are skilled in doing evil;
they know not how to do good."

23 I looked at the earth,
and it was formless and empty;
and at the heavens,
and their light was gone.
24 I looked at the mountains,
and they were quaking;
all the hills were swaying.
25 I looked, and there were no people;
every bird in the sky had flown away.
26 I looked, and the fruitful land was a desert;
all its towns lay in ruins
before the LORD , before his fierce anger.
It is here that we see how forsaken God must have felt. If you listen to country music, you may be familiar with the song "If Nobody Believed In You" by Joe Nichols. It lists a few stories that we can equate to; a young boy whose father yells at him for giving up at a baseball game, an old man whose son won't let him try to drive again, the chorus being
"That old man quit tryin',
He just turned away.
An' there were teardrops on his face.
Tell me, how would you feel?
You'd probably give up too,
If nobody believed in you. "

The the song moves on to
We take His name out of schools.
The lawyers say it breaks the rules.
Pledge of allegiance can't be writ,
An' under God, should not be said.
I wonder how He will take.
I just pray it's not too late.

What if God quit tryin',
He just turned away?
There were teardrops on his face?
Tell me, how would you feel?
You'd probably give up too,
If nobody believed in you.

This gives me an idea of how God must feel every second of every day as he sees his own beautiful creations turning away from Him.


Jeremiah 6:
10 To whom can I speak and give warning?
Who will listen to me?
Their ears are closed
so they cannot hear.
The word of the LORD is offensive to them;
they find no pleasure in it.
11 But I am full of the wrath of the LORD ,
and I cannot hold it in.

This chapter is a warning to Jerusalem, and a call to arms for God's soldiers.
But this attack is not unwarranted:
16 This is what the LORD says:
"Stand at the crossroads and look;
ask for the ancient paths,
ask where the good way is, and walk in it,
and you will find rest for your souls.
But you said, 'We will not walk in it.'
17 I appointed watchmen over you and said,
'Listen to the sound of the trumpet!'
But you said, 'We will not listen.'
18 Therefore hear, O nations;
observe, O witnesses,
what will happen to them.

The Lord has provided warnings to Jerusalem, calls for them to right their wrongs. He knows that there is only one way to get their attention: action.
Do not let this happen in your life. Do not be so blind to the Lord's will that it requires a forceful act of God to bring you back to the fold. Pray every night that you may learn from your day's labors, and that you may understand where God is leading you, and that you are well prepared when you get there.



Search Engine Submission and Internet Marketing Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com